Sprite Clipper v0.91.1 released

A new version of Sprite Clipper has been released!  This version incorporates some user suggestions from the good people at the Push Button Engine forums, and one user especially.

The updates include

  • Select All now selects in an up/down, left/right order.  Before the order was based on sprite area, and users were frustrated that the sprite ordering on the sheet was not preserved.
  • A new packing method, Grid, has been added.  This puts the sprites in a uniformly spaced grid, which is a format that many game frameworks expect.
  • Fixes to small 1 or 2 pixel positioning bugs.
  • The default connected criterion is now 8 connectivity with a 3 px half edge.  This is probably a better choice for most situations than straight 8 connectivity.

As always, comments, bug reports, complaints, etc. all welcome.

Sprite Clipper v0.9 released

The first version of Sprite Clipper, one of the primary reasons I started this site, has been released!  I tried to break the program as best as I could, and if I found something wrong I would fix it.  Since I haven’t been able to break this version, I’m putting it out there for people to use and try out. No guarantees, of course!

Check it out here.

I’ve learned a great deal pursuing this project and this site.  Here’s a bit:

  • Java
  • Netbeans, Ant, Freemarker
  • git and Github
  • Setting up a domain and using WordPress
  • Blob detection algorithms
  • Packing algorithms
  • Slick2d library (for testing)

In fact, the reason I started Sprite Clipper was that I started playing with Slick2d, but found getting sprite assets (even ones just for testing) a real pain in the butt.  I’m one of those people who will expend huge amounts of effort to avoid doing tedious tasks.  Tediously cropping sprites is a pain.  Building entire programs to avoid doing that is actually a lot of fun.